Why stage a home at all? When selling an empty home staging makes it easier for people to understand how they would live in that space. Buyers want a house to feel ‘livable’ not ‘lived-in’. Accomplishing this can be a daunting prospect for anyone who has to still live there while they are trying to sell it. Follow these few easy tips to make selling your house faster and less stressful.
1. Declutter: If you’re serious about selling your house this first step will not only help your house sell faster but it will make the rest of your packing easier as well. Why get rid of clutter? First of all it makes it much easier for you to keep your house tidy for showings and open houses. Secondly, prospective buyers feel better when they can imagine their objects and pictures in a space instead of seeing yours.
Here are few ideas to help you declutter:
- Books & Magazines: Keep a few around especially in any built-ins so they don’t look empty.
- Exercise Equipment: Lets face it your treadmill isn’t very pretty so unless you have a dedicated work-out room store it.
- Extra toys & games: Most kids have more toys than they play with on a regular basis, ask your kids to pick their favorite toys and have them help you pack up the rest!
- Misc. Kitchen appliances: Many small kitchens have kitchen appliances out on the counters, pack away everything but the coffee maker (of course).
- Clothes & Shoes: If your like most Americans you have more clothes than will fit in your closet. Pack up those out of season items.
- Family Photos: It’s nothing against your cute kiddos but having personal family photos around the house remind a buyer that this is someone else’s home, and can take up unnecessary space on tables and countertops.
I’m sure your next question is where do you put all of this stuff while your staging? Rent a storage space or moving pod, the quicker sale of your home should offset the cost of temporarily storing your items.
2. Keep it clean: You won’t usually know when a realtor is going to show your home and its in your best interest to let them show it as much as possible so keeping the house neat and tidy is very important. Here are a few things to remember to do in the morning:
- In the bedroom: Make the beds, keep all laundry in clothes hampers or stored away, clear off the clutter and medication from the night stand, and lastly organize your shoes.
- Bathrooms: Close shower curtains, hang towels neatly on towel racks, clear counters of toothbrushes and toiletries, clean any spots off of the mirrors, and don’t forget to close the lid to the toilet!
- Kitchen: Clear away all dirty dishes, wipe off counter-tops, keep your fridge clear of notes and magnets, and finally check to see that all chairs are neatly placed.
- Living Room: Arrange pillows and blankets neatly, and keep tv trays and remotes stowed away.
Good luck and just remember that staging is all about making your home feel like a warm and inviting place to any prospective buyers.