Stylish, charming houses on quiet streets minutes from Penn Square Mall and the Asian District.
In terms of the real estate market, Putnam Heights comprises three distinct areas:
Putnam Heights Historical Preservation District:
Putnam Heights Addition west of Classen:
Putnam Heights Addition east of Classen:
Putnam Heights Elementary (GreatSchools.org details)
Taft Middle School (GreatSchools.org details)
Northwest Classen High School (GreatSchools.org details)
Dining, Shopping & Entertainment
Fabulous location! Classen Boulevard has everything:
- Asian District (restaurants, grocery)
- Red Cup (coffee)
- Denton’s Frame Shop
- Lee’s Sandwiches
- North to Belle Isle Shopping Center, Penn Square Mall, NW Expressway
- South to Oklahoma City University, 23rd St (Uptown District), the Paseo Arts District
- Keep going South to Downtown OKC!
Parks and Recreation
Memorial Park at 36th and Classen has just been enormously improved!
The land that became Putnam Heights was originally a plot granted by President McKinley to the Oklahoma Military Institute. After it burned in 1910, the land was sold and then developed by Israel M. Putnam, who had also been the president of the institute since 1907, when its name was changed to the Oklahoma Military Academy. The previous president was Charles S. Colcord, who gave his name to a street and building downtown.
Putnam was the member of the first Oklahoma Legislature who proposed moving the capital from Guthrie to Oklahoma City. His farm house, also included in the National Register, was built in 1906.
Most of the homes in Putnam Heights were built between 1907 and 1920. One of them served as the Governor’s Mansion for Governor J. B. A. Robertson. The styles vary from Colonial, Georgian, Renaissance, Mediterranean, Tudor, and California (in Oklahoma, called Airplane bungalow).
Prominent architects and builders in this neighborhood included Harry Reynolds, Harold Gimeno, James Hawk (of Hawk & Parr), Guy C. Reid, George Forsythe (involved in the design of the Skirvin Hotel), Ray Smizer, Lee Bradway, and of course G. A. Nichols. Some residents of note include Dr. Ray M. Balyeat (world-renowned allergy specialist, Allen Street (businessman, Oklahoma City mayor), Judge Edgar S. Vaught (who presided at the famous trial of oilman Charles Urschel’s kidnaper, George “Machine Gun Kelly” Barnes), Dr. Everett S. Lain (pioneering cancer and skin specialist), 4th Governor J. B. A. Robertson, as well as Israel Putnam.
Putnam Heights 3 Ways
All the houses in the Putnam Heights Addition are great, but one special section has been identified for regulated Historical Preservation.
Putnam Heights Historic Preservation District was created by the Oklahoma City Historical Preservation Committee in 1972, and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Putnam Heights Addition West of Classen (overlaps with Historic Preservation District). Any properties NOT in the Historic Preservation District can be modified without special approval, but following general ordinances and permit processes.
Putnam Heights Addition East of Classen. Originally part of the same planned layout and guidelines as the rest of Putnam Heights addition on the other side of Classen, Classen eventually became a major thoroughfare, as well as being developed commercially. Comparable housing values generally do not cross major, business-lined streets.
National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form (1982)
The Oklahoman, “Putnam Heights Glows in History” (1985)
Letter to the Oklahoma City Historic Preservation Commission (2011)