“Home to 22 galleries and more than 80 artists, all within walking distance. Intermingled among the galleries are fabulous restaurants, art schools, boutiques and other businesses.”
- MLS Search Coming Soon!
Edgemere Elementary (GreatSchools.org details)
Frederick A. Douglass Mid-High School (GreatSchools.org details)
Dining, Shopping, Entertainment, Parks and Recreation
History and Other Aspects
The Paseo District has a long history involving and reflecting the development of Oklahoma City. Fairlawn Cemetery was created in 1892, just 4 years after settlement was opened by the 1889 Land Run.
Also in 1892, Guernsey Park Place was platted, which makes up most of the Paseo neighborhood. The area was still quite outside the city limits. The other residential plat that would make up today’s Paseo Neighborhood District was Pleasant View, platted in 1903. Between 1907 and 1908, after statehood but before the State Capitol was moved from Guthrie, 22 additions were incorporated into the city of Oklahoma City, including Fairlawn Cemetery, Pleasant View, and Guernsey Park.
By 1913, the area was directly connected to Oklahoma City’s downtown district with the electric streetcar line running along Shartel, right down the middle of The Paseo District. Still, development was slow and residential development was scattered, with various subdivisions of lots and blocks being filed up until 1921. However, in 1920, G. A. Nichols (now recognized as one of the most significant builders and developers for early Oklahoma City) bought a large portion of the undeveloped parcels. Finally, in 1927, Nichols filed his revised replat of Guernsey Park, named The Spanish Village.
Although the plat allows both residential and commercial buildings on any lot, Nichols seems to have intended to create a neighborhood shopping center, one of the earliest in Oklahoma City. Nichols brilliantly interrupted the gridiron layout of the northeast part of Guernsey Park with a dramatic, wide curved street. Such a ‘back-bone’ both required and inspired building designs that were not the typical flat-fronted facades, but had recessed entrances with overhanging features such as balconies. Nichols’ in-house architects designed the first few structures that were built, all in a Spanish Mission revival style, echoing back to the name of the sweeping curved street that they flanked: The Paseo.