Edgemere Elementary (GreatSchools.org details)
Frederick A. Douglass Mid-High School (GreatSchools.org details)
Dining, Shopping, Entertainment
- Cheever’s Cafe
- Tucker’s Onion Burgers
- More down Uptown 23rd!
- The Paseo
Parks and Recreation
Jefferson Park boasts two of its own parks: Sparrow Park and Goodholm Park
- Jefferson Park Neighbors Association, a non-profit Community Housing Development Organization (website here)
- Jefferson Park Historic Landmark Overlay Zoning District:
Historic Landmark District (HL) is an overlay zoning district that provides regulations and restrictions to preserve some of the finest and most valuable resources of the City. A Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission is required for all projects located in the HP District. (OKC Ordinance here)
- Jefferson Park Urban Conservation District:
The Jefferson Park Urban Conservation District is intended to promote the health, safety, economic, cultural and general welfare of the public by encouraging the conservation and enhancement of the urban environment specifically in the area of Oklahoma City known as Jefferson Park.(General OKC Ordinance here [ctrl/cmd + f and search ‘jefferson’ for specific ordinance)
The Jefferson Park neighborhood was fabricated primarily of the Jefferson Park Addition, originally platted in 1903 and annexed into the city by 1908. In July 1909, the Second Jefferson Park Addition was platted and in the same year the original plat was amended twice and finally once more in 1924, which was only a minor modification.
The most significant change was the modification made when the addition was owned by the Goodholm & Sparrow Investment Company. This new plat created the curvy streets and blocks characteristic only to Jefferson Park and also created the only two parks in the nearby area at the time, Sparrow and Goodholm. The original neighborhood boundaries extended east to the Santa Fe railroad tracks, however, in the 1980s construction of the Centennial Expressway eradicated many of the structures located east of Robinson Avenue.
Jefferson Park was among the twenty-two additions incorporated into Oklahoma City between 1907 and 1908, which resulted in a population of three thousand persons. By 1910, the city boasted 11,516 dwellings, with select residential construction occurring north of Thirty-fourth Street. Construction was underway in the Jefferson Park and neighboring additions, Central Park and what would become The Paseo and Spanish Village. Between 1900 and 1910, seven of the extent residences in Jefferson Park were constructed.
Jefferson Park, Central Park and the Paseo never received quite the marketing campaign as other additions, but there was noticeable promotion during the 1910s.
The real estate company of Goodholm and Sparrow advertised the Jefferson Park area. promoting the amenities procurable in the tract; including wide paved streets, shade and ornamental trees, two city parks, water, gas, electricity, telephone service, sanitary and storm sewers, as well as “hundreds of artistic homes (and) beautiful stretches of lawn.” Availability and uniqueness of spacious lawns was due to the distinctive neighborhood design of the central portion of Jefferson Park.
This atypical configuration followed a pattern of development advocated by Frederick Law Olmstead. Olmstead, and other late nineteenth and early twentieth century American landscape designers, emphasized housing designed around wide and spacious parks, with the result being a haven from the hustle and strain of urban life. Jefferson Park, platted in this design relatively early in 1909, was one of the first examples of this belief in Oklahoma City. Similar landscape design also occurred in the Edgemere Park Historic District, located directly north of Jefferson Park.
During the 1910s, when the Shartel and other street cars [sic] line were under construction, Jefferson Park had slightly less development than the Paseo and Central Park, with only eighty-eight (23%) of the eventual buildings being constructed. During the 1920s, sixty-two percent of the eventual structures in Jefferson Park were constructed. One hundred and thirty of the total 240 buildings were built between 1920 and 1922. Activity stabilized in Jefferson Park with an average of fifteen dwellings being built each year between 1924 and 1928. The neighborhood experienced an upsurge in building activity in 1929 with thirty-five new buildings. This was the last year of significant construction in Jefferson Park.
Probably the greatest economic incentive during the late 1920s and 1930s was the discovery of oil in the Oklahoma City vicinity in 1924 and within the city itself in 1928. In turn, oil led to a particular type of real estate development: apartment houses. The influx of people employed by the flourishing oil and related industrial companies, requiring only a temporary place to live, created an unprecedented demand for apartments. Apartment house construction also received a boost from oil men, as well as others with money, who viewed apartments as a good, solid investment.
During the late 1920s and early 1930s, apartment building in Oklahoma City concentrated north of Twenty-third Street, around Robinson and Walker avenues, in the midst of the Jefferson Park, Central Park and Paseo neighborhoods. Of the three districts, Jefferson Park had the highest number of extant apartment houses with sixty-six.
Related to this is the history of Robinson Avenue, the main north-south thoroughfare through the district and originally part of the Oklahoma City trolley route that began in downtown Oklahoma City, two miles south of Jefferson Park. The median, the original location of the trolley rails, is now a tree-lined, linear park. The location of the trolley influenced the construction of many of the apartment buildings and four- and eight-plexes which line Robinson Avenue and spread throughout the neighborhood
49% of the extant houses in Jefferson Park are Bungalow style. The second most fashionable style was Tudor Revival
Final Survey Report: Intensive-Level Survey of the Central Park, Jefferson Park and Paseo Neighborhoods in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Prepared by Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office, Susan Allen, Architectural Historian; Cynthia Smelker, Preservation Research Assistant. March 1994.
“Jefferson Park Historic District,” National Register of Historic Places: Registration Form, November 3, 1995. http://nr_shpo.okstate.edu/nhrpdfs/95001466.pdf